Thursday, May 20, 2010

Wire


Sooner or later beadwork leads to a fling with wire. If only to make bead fringe, or clasps, you can't ignore wire for long.
And I saw such wonderful things with wire that my fingers itched to give it a try. Putting beads on a head pin was familiar stuff, my sister gave me a pair of chain nose pliers and some wire for my birthday when I was a teen. But coiling, twisting, was another matter. And I had these lovely stones lying around that just were not flat enough to use in beadwork.
A lot of trial and error followed once I had decided to try and make real real beadwork pendant. I made one using a bead and Szilviabead's excellent tutorial on Deviant Art. But how to bezel? I studied pictures, tried the classic three-wire bezel (which I did not like, too many loose ends to wrap up) and the good old puzzle wrap. And a netted bezel, this one. It's far from perfect, just as the stone is far from perfect - it's chipped on the back side. But I liked it, broken stone and broken wire becoming whole. This one I often wear. The wire is silver plated so sooner or later the copper underneath will show through, to give it a warm glow. That will only add to the charm of it, like a few gray hairs or wrinkles give a face warmth and personality. "Be whole again" I wrote when I put this one in my Deviant Art gallery. And that's what it means.
Silver plated wire, glass beads, a freshwater pearl, and a lovely fluorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment